Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Memorial Day Parade


MemorialDay-1
Originally uploaded by John Meore
This Memorial Day marks 21 years since my honorable discharge from the Navy.  Seems like there has been a lot that has gone on around the world over the last 20 years. When I served it was all about the Russians, where the were and what they were up to.
Today's Soldiers, Sailors and Airmen are not sure who the enemy is but, we are sure of what their intentions are.
I am proud to say I am a Veteran and want to thank all those who have served and who are serving now, I may even try to squeeze in to my uniform and march alongside the other veterans in town.
A friend of mine just gave a speech at a wreath ceremony and used this quote from Lincoln's address at Gettysburg, afterwards he asked me if it sounded OK. I said that if it didn't reach out and grab you by the throat, there is something wrong with you...
Here is the quote...
"... that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion -- that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth."

No comments:

Post a Comment