Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Veterans Day 2009:
I am reminded on a daily basis of my service. I have a shadow box in my office with all the "Stuff" I collected as a Sailor and Photographer. The shadow box was a gift from my wife and my daughters. All my stuff was in boxes and they thought it should be on display.
Ribbons, medals, stripes from my dress uniforms, patches from my flight suits, my dog tags and even a photo of me when I made Petty Officer Second Class all displayed on the wall in my office at home. I even have one of my original hats from when I arrived on the ship in 1983.
For years I never really felt proud of my time in the Navy, until people I hardly knew would come up to me and thank me for my service and ask me a million questions on what it was like and where I've been. After hearing this a few dozen times and telling the stories, over the course of about 10 years, I began to feel more and more proud of what I had accomplished. I'm wasn't a hero, just a kid who wanted to learn and travel.
Along with the shadow box, I have some great memories of my youth, serving my country, learning and honing my photographic skills, traveling the world and working with some great guys.
Happy Veterans Day, and "Thank you for your Service!"

No comments:

Post a Comment